Solo and Small Firm Conference 2018:
The 21st Century Lawyer
Thursday, June 7, 2018 (09:00 AM-04:30 PM)
Add this event to your calendar (Downloads an .ICS file)
Kathleen Erin Cullin, C.S.Wallbridge, Wallbridge
Barbara HicksHicks & Hicks Professional Corporation
Allan OzielOziel Law
Introducing the 21st-century lawyer—innovative, adaptable, and ready for the next challenge. When you are a solo or small firm lawyer, how do you stay relevant and competitive? You embrace change. From client service to marketing, file management to billing, it's essential that you be willing to transform your practice to meet the demands of today's market. Our presenters give you the practical tools and checklists to ensure that you do. As always, look to our exhibitors for the products and services that keep you ahead of the curve, and visit our Ingenious Bar for the peer-to-peer assistance and support to help you meet your professional obligations. Modern practices require 21st-century lawyers. Make certain you're one of them.
Sign-Up Required: Workshops, Treasurer's Dinner, and Complimentary Professional Headshot
Space is strictly limited for all these events. After you register for Solo and Small, you will be sent an e-mail with a link to access the sign-up lists. (Note that these events will not appear in your Law Society Portal.)
Workshops (Seminar D)
10:30–3:00 on program day, in-person attendees only
Each of our four workshops is a hands-on session that allows you to work closely with a facilitator to hone your skills and apply your new knowledge. Workshops run concurrently with seminars A through C. (Audio recordings of workshops will be released after the program.)
|10:30 – 11:20||Building Your Professional and Personal Brand on LinkedIn
LinkedIn is one of the most popular social networking sites in the world. Most lawyers do not take full advantage of it. Does that include you? Who better to set you on the right track than a LinkedIn representative! Our workshop leader provides tips and offers practical solutions to make sure that you’re attracting the right people to your profile. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to enhance your brand and expand your connections.
|11:25 – 12:15||Using Storytelling Techniques to Be More Memorable
As a lawyer, it’s your job to convey information and facts in a clear and concise manner. But clarity alone doesn’t guarantee something will be remembered. How do you frame the facts with a story that’s both engaging and memorable? This workshop goes over the simple tools you can use to make your stories come alive and resonate with any audience. Hear how to capture the imagination of your listeners and ensure that your presentations are unforgettable.
|1:15 – 2:05||Effective Negotiation Principles and Strategies
Lawyers negotiate; it’s what they do, regardless of the area of law. The stronger the negotiation skills you have and strategies you know, the more confident you’ll be. This interactive workshop teaches you how to negotiate under the dispute resolution paradigm and explores the different components that affect your strategy so you can promote robust solutions that meet your professional and ethical obligations.
|2:10 – 3:00||Growing Your Practice through Equity and Inclusion (50 m )
The principles of equity and inclusion are powerful. By advancing them in your practice, you’ll build a solid foundation with ample opportunity for growth. Our workshop leaders emphasize the importance of diversity and how it can enhance your client base, your profile, and increase opportunities in the marketplace.
Osgoode Hall, June 6
Seats fill up fast! Come together with your colleagues for an evening to share your challenges, forge new relationships, and have some fun. Cocktails start at 6 p.m. (with optional tours of Osgoode Hall) and dinner at 7 p.m.
Complimentary Professional Headshot FULLY BOOKED
8:00–5:00 on program day (10-minute sessions), in-person attendees only
It's an online world, and everyone needs a good-quality headshot. We have a professional photographer on-site this year, so no excuses. Give him 10 minutes of your time, and he'll have you looking your best.
Exhibitors and Sponsors
10-Day Giveaway: Contest Rules
- Corey Bloom, CPA, CA, CA IFA, CFE, CFF, Partner, Forensics & Disputes - Eastern Canada Lead, MNP
- Blair Bowen, Fogler Rubinoff LLP
- Kelley Bryan, Perez Bryan Procope LLP
- Adrian Camara, Chief Executive Officer, Athennian
- Megan Cornell, Momentum Business Law Professional Corporation
- Rinku Deswal, RD Law Professional Corporation – Barristers & Solicitors
- Christopher Graham, Founder, TellPeople
- Jennifer Hunter, Lerners LLP
- Brooke MacKenzie, MacKenzie Barristers Professional Corporation
- Marni MacLeod, Vice President, Skunkworks Creative Group Inc.
- Neil Mangan, Small Law Corporation
- Shannon Moldaver, Shannon Moldaver Dispute Resolution Inc.
- Perry Monaco, Head of Customer Success Canada, LinkedIn
- Jesse Moore, CPA, CA, Tax Partner, BDO Canada LLP
- Jack Newton, CEO & Founder, Clio
- Kurt Oelschlagel, FCPA, FCA, TEP, Tax Partner, BDO Canada LLP
- Emma Phillips, Goldblatt Partners LLP
- Jennifer Reynolds, Fresh Legal
- Stuart Rudner, Rudner Law
- Vince Saroli, National Director-Segments, Small Professional Firms and Academic, Thomson Reuters
- Noel Semple, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Windsor
- Marian MacGregor, Equity Advisor, Equity Initiatives, Law Society of Ontario
- Aaron Grinhaus, Lawyer and Blockchain Consultant, Grinhaus Law Firm