Think Like an Editor: Enliven Your Writing Style
Part 1: Effective Writing for Style
Friday, May 4, 2018 (09:30 AM-11:00 AM)
Add this event to your calendar (Downloads an .ICS file)
View this webcast-only program from your home or office computer
Jane Griesdorf, M.A.The Writing Consultants
Legal professionals must do more writing than ever before. But standard writing styles often clutter the prose, making the legal content unnecessarily heavy and difficult to follow. Learn how to write with clarity, lightness, and grace. Building on the principles highlighted in previous programs, these webinars show you how to invigorate your writing style so that it becomes bright and persuasive—writing that presents you and your firm with aplomb! The two 1.5-hour webinars include practical models, hands-on exercises, and explanatory critiques to help you understand how to fine-tune your legal writing style.
- Maintain a relevant, easy-to-follow, and instructive story line
- Provide context before detail: Don't do a data dump!
- Observe point-first order at every level of your document
- Screen word choice carefully and watch legal jargon
- Choose verbs over nouns to activate your writing
- Strive for rhythm, grace, and flow in transitions and sentence structure